Monday 22 September 2014

Strawberry Cream Cake


It’s BIRTHDAY season! September is a busy month for my family. We have SIX birthdays between Juho’s and my family and it is busybusybusy. This weekend we had family over for some cake and small bites and I was quite excited for the chance to bake again.

As you can observe, it’s been awhile since my last post. Cough cough. But I have been inspired to start baking again and what better occasion to start than a birthday party!

I am in love with Strawberry Cream Cakes. It was love at first bite and I have my husband to thank for that. The first strawberry cream cake I ate was baked by my mother-in-law and it was out of this world. I loved it so much but I had never attempted to make one myself. So this weekend I decided to make my very first Strawberry Cream Cake.
 

I was quite nervous because I hadn’t baked in such a looooong time but I was so pleased at how it turned out. It was incredibly moist, the perfect amount of sweet and I was getting nervous because the cake seemed to be disappearing too fast! It is also the simplest thing to make, I don’t know why I had never made one before.


So this is what you will need:

Ingredients:

For the Cake:

3 Cups Granulated Sugar
340g Butter, softened
6 Eggs
6 tsp Vanilla Extract
6 tsp Baking Powder
3/8 tsp Salt
4 Cups All Purpose Flour
1 Cup Butter Milk (1 cup milk + 1 tsp vinegar = 1 cup buttermilk)
1 large tin of peach halves
Strawberry jam
Strawberries
500 ml of Whipping Cream


Instructions:

For the Cake:

  1.  Preheat oven to 350 F / 175 C / Gas Mark 4. Butter your cake pan (13x9”) 
  2. Cream together the sugar and butter with an electric mixture, for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the eggs and vanilla and cream together for another 5 minutes, until you get a smooth mixture.
  4. With the speed on slow, add the dry ingredients (baking powder, salt, flour) and slowly add the milk and mix everything to combine. Do not overmix!
  5. Pour the batter into the pan and smooth evenly.
  6. Bake for 30-35 minutes and let cool for about 30 minutes before coating with topping.
  7. Repeat the above procedure to get two rectangular slabs of cake.


For the Filling/Topping:
  1. Slice the peach halves into thin slices.
  2. Hull the strawberries, wash well and slice in half.
  3. Warm the strawberry jam for a few seconds in the microwave to get a slightly runny consistency.
  4. Whip the cream with a little sugar.

Cake Assembly:

  1. Moisten the foundation layer of the cake by sprinkling it with a sugar-water mixture.
  2. Apply the strawberry jam on the bottom layer of the cake.
  3. Cover with peach slices and gently place the next layer of the cake.
  4. Once again, moisten the cake layer.
  5. Cover the cake with whipped cream and decorate with strawberries as you please.

 
It was a lovely evening with family and a wonderful way to start a brand new year of life! I've also been inspired to bake again so hopefully you will be seeing more recipes in the near future *wink wink*

Have a lovely week ya'll!

No comments:

Post a Comment